Saturday, October 6, 2012

Heritage Bank

I have accounts with three banks in Sumner:
  • Bank of America
  • Heritage Bank
  • US Bank

    Of the three, when I go to Bank of America or US Bank, I feel faceless and anonymous. They are not mean or anything, in fact they are cordial, but I do not feel like they know me as a customer. Not so when we go to Heritage Bank. They know us on sight; they ask about where we have been and tell us about their own families and life. It feels more like belonging.

    I did not renew a CD once in time and it rolled over to .000001% interest and they backdated it to give me a bit over one per cent interest. Another time, I needed to get money to a contractor and Kathy called them and arranged it over the phone ( I didn't think that was possible). Yet another time we wanted to get our arms around commercial real estate in Sumner and they introduced us to Sandra Ramsey. Even though we did not have an appointment she graciously spent a half hour with us and hooked us up with contacts.

    By the way, you may be wondering why I have so many bank accounts. You should consider doing the same thing; I do security for a living and there is a lot of online fraud happening. So here is an idea to consider.

    Have one account for your direct deposit from your paycheck. Do not use that account for *anything* other than to move money to two other banks. One bank we use for online bill pay. The other bank for savings and investments. Here is the kicker though, move the same amount of money every time. By only transferring money to two other banks and always the same amount, if someone ever tried to defraud the account your paycheck is deposited into fraud detection software should pick that up and alert. I only transfer enough money to pay bills to the bill pay account since it is probably the account at greatest risk. Finally, on the savings and investing bank, I do not have a debit card and do not allow online access. Nothing is perfect, but this should be a step in the right direction.

    Heritage bank was selected as the Sumner Downtown Association Member of the month in September 2012.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment