Monday, November 5, 2012

Dragon Ball Restaurant and Lounge

We stopped in today for early dinner at this restaurant in on Main Street in downtown Sumner WA. It is an interesting building. Essentially a gravel parking lot. A lot of effort went into the decor inside, but it is showing some wear; the restaurant is five years old.

We both ordered Kung Po dishes or at least that is what it said on the menu. Our waiter asked how spicy we wanted on a scale of 1 to 5, a nice touch, we answered 3.5 -4. Brown rice is not an option, you are seeing that more and more with Chinese restaurants. The food took a little longer to arrive than I would have expected considering that it is a wok dish. In terms of flavor, it was too salty ( always a risk with soy sauce) and I could not taste the black vinegar that you expect with Kung Pao. The spicing from a heat perspective was fine, we could have easily done 4 and with a beer, 5. There was a bit less meat than you usually see, but to be honest I am trying to increase my intake of vegetables so that was fine with me. I can't say for sure there was monosodium glutimate, but as I write this I have that little headache in the front part of my brain.

Kathy also ordered the egg flower soup, thought it was comforting and the appropriate thickness. I had a TsingTao beer, total before tip was $27.55.

The bottom line, if I had guests that wanted to go out for Asian style food, I think I would recommend the Riverside Mongolian Grill at 725 River Road in nearby Puyallup. Also, there is nothing particularly wrong with the Dragon Ball, but nothing that screams "WOW" and the price is just a bit above a plate lunch type operation. I continue to think there is an opportunity for a good casual restaurant that is a step above fast food.

No comments:

Post a Comment